We did whatever Nancy wanted to do on Mother’s Day. That’s right, we worked on the boat. We cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. I can’t believe how much time we’ve spent cleaning this tiny little boat.
Yesterday, we trial fit the swim step/dingy mount conduit prototype. It worked great. After a few little tweaks we’ll get the real one made. Here’s the thing in the down position, as a swim step. The two ladders make for easy water access and keep dingys from washing under the platform. You can see the waterline in the bottompaint on the boat.
The platform is not flat. That’s easy to fix.
When we pull the frames up, and drop the platform, we make a sling to hang the dingy on:
The dingy hangs a little low, but the the same fix that levels the platform raises the dingy. From the deck, the whole thing looks pretty clean.
We’ll cut out the center rail of the pushpit when we install the real thing. This is the dingy from our small powerboat, but the dingy for this boat will be similar.
In other news from yesterday, both 75 gallon polyethylene water tanks have cracks around the fill necks. Apparently, somebody besides us knew about the problems with the port tank.
The white goo is proof that gel coat doesn’t stick to polyethelene. The icky colored goo is proof that epoxy doesn’t stick to polyethelene. We’re not worried, at least they come off easily. Then we can use new glues from G-Flex or Mr. Sticky, along with some milk carton scrap, to patch the tank. The only complication is that we need to flame treat the surface to de-polarize the poly. That will be slightly more difficult to starboard.
Some (more) dis-assembly will be required.
I hope everyone had the Mother’s Day they wanted. We did.