Tags

, ,

We had a sunny warm day here in Western Washington.  That means that the high temp was over 70, the humidity fell below 50%, and the sun was out for at least half the day.

So we opened the Camano Island sail laundry (non-permitted).

One good sized tarp, a dingy, and a little soap and water and we were in business.

We scrubbed the jib, soaked it in the dingy, scrubbed it again, and then tied it to the Mermaid on the top of the barn, the Suburban, and the wagon.  It was harder than you might think to get the whole thing off the ground.

The main sail was a little more trouble.  First we had to remove the battens, then we laid the sail out on a tarp and scrubbed the considerable stains.  Seems the Sausalito Songbird Society had found a home in the sail for the past several years.

Then we pulled the whole thing into the dingy and soaked it in Woolite and Clorox all-fabric colorsafe bleach.

It took a while to get it all underwater.  A long soak, a quick rinse, and then it was time to string it up.

Then more rinsing.

It took most of the day for the sails to dry, then we didn’t get them down quick enough.  You know what that means.

At least the blackberries aren’t ripe, and thankfully it wasn’t one of these fish processors.

We had the jib (Genoa) repaired by a sail loft last month.  I asked the guy how old the sail was.  He pointed at the numbers.

Then he had me look a little closer.  Our numbers are stitched on.

Modern sail numbers are cut from fancy fabric tape, and stuck on the sail, like the logo on our mainsail.

It’s been that way since sticky-back fabric has been available.

That means our jib is older than 3M.

Advertisements