, , , , ,

Big day today.  We finally turned our project back into a sailboat.

It takes a lot of people to put a mast in a sailboat.  We were not invited to help.

I don’t know why not.  The mast only weighs several hundred pounds, and is a little under 600 feet long.

Maybe it’s under 60 feet long.  It’s still big.  Our mast sits directly on the bottom of the boat, so it’s fed through a tiny hole in the coach roof.  It’s not a trivial problem, since the crane can’t hold the mast directly vertical since it grabs it near the balance point in the middle.

After the yard guys got the mast installed and all the standing rigging tightened and tuned, with the mast vertical and bent slightly aft (the bend keeps the middle of the mast from “pumping” in heavy seas, which makes the mast vibrate and break, and also improves the mainsail shape), we got to work with all the other stuff that’s mounted on the mast and rigging.  For instance, we installed a self-leveling Questus radar antenna mount on the backstay.

Then we installed the boom.  Luckily there was a building near by we could use as scaffolding.

Then we had to figure out all the strings and ropes and bags and fabric and knots and various bits of laundry.  Not trivial.

Luckily, we had Pender to help in his short break between work and school.  He goes back to Gonzaga any day now.

Almost.  Almost.  Almost.