Tags

, , , ,

Remember this picture?

Right after we bought the boat, Pender spent quite a while digging wet styrofoam out of the aft cabin floor.

Remember this?

I used a sawzall and then a pipe wrench

to cut, then bend and remove the bronze-tubed cutless bearing from the keel, directly under the area that was full of wet styrofoam.

Well, the good news is that we didn’t sink.  At least not very quickly.

A few days after we launched the boat, water started seeping into the same aft-cabin compartment.  Then it started seeping more.  Soon it was leaking.

We went back to the yard and hauled the boat.

They cut and ground and ground and cut and finally just made a hole in the side of the keel.

The hull was approximately one inch thick here.  Skookum.

Then an air chisel was used to remove the filler and wet resin from the area.

We were quickly able to see where, long ago, somebody (else) had gotten a little too wild with their sawzall and cut completely through the shaft tube.  That let water leak through the shaft tube, into the filler in the hull and eventually up through the floor into the aft cabin.  Here the Marine ServiceCenter guys are using a die grinder to feather the edge of the cut so vinylester resin and glass can be laminated back onto the tube.  We used compressed air and soapy water to look for other cuts, but this was the only one.

They glassed the tube back up to heal the leak in the shaft tube.

Then they rebuilt the side of the hull.  Tomorrow they’ll apply a little more glass and some filler, then the bottom paint, then back in the water we go, completely sink free.  But I’ll still fix the back-up bilge pump.  And install the manual back-up back-up bilge pump.

Advertisements