, , , , , , ,

Last year, about this time, we stopped fixing Bright Water and headed out the Straight of Juan de Fuca, turned left, and headed south (https://svbrightwater.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/sortie/).  After parking the boat in Guaymas, Mexico, last February, we’re finally headed back.


We had to re-paint the waterline on the land yacht because the bilges were filled with essential marine gear:  A third anchor, drogue, spare sails, engine parts, anchor chain, rope, and warmer clothes.


We managed to maintain sightlines aft.  We left a little later in the year this time, and a severe chain of thunderstorms flushed us out Snoqualmie pass.  There was too much water to maintain safe contact with the road, but not enough to actually float the car.

The weather soon cleared and we had blue skies for the rest of the trip.

We navigated by GPS with paper chart backup, just like the trip down the coast.  The AAA guidebooks were less useful than the FineEdge book for the Pacific Coast.

Without AIS (https://svbrightwater.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/constant-bearing-decreasing-range/) we were unable to communicate directly with commercial traffic, but their light signals were usually clear.  Larger recreational traffic was more difficult to deal with.

The scenery was spectacular and is similar to what we remember from Baja.

We even saw what would have been a waterspout, if there had been any water (https://svbrightwater.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/channel-islands/).


We had been having second thoughts.  This sign settled our plans.  Using the Nogales Truck Crossing on a Sunday morning might be the best decision I’ve ever made.  No real traffic until Hermisillo where we got one of those Mexican traffic non-tickets you’ve all heard so much about.

Seven hours later, this is the gate at the boatyard.  The nice man let us in.  Whew.

The weeds had grown since last February.


We opened up the second solar panel and then opened up the boat.

The batteries were still at 100% and terribly happy.  Good batteries.

The inside of the boat wasn’t very hot and was only coated with a little dust.  Max temp over the summer was a reasonable 108.  It only took us about 1/2 hour to wipe everything down.  You know what doesn’t taste good?  100 degree Tequila.  Not good.  We suffered through it.

We brought way too much crap.  We’ll get the projects done and then figure out what to do with the excess.  Getting back in the water is the priority.  Or we’ll chuck the whole thing and get back to the kids.  Dunno.

Thank you very much to the family and friends that let us sleep in their homes and eat their food and share their company on the way south.  We like that stuff.