, , ,

After leaving Mag Bay at about noon we had a wonderful and calm overnight passage. St. Valentine’s eve was equally calm, with almost no breeze. As we neared Cabo San Lucas on the way to the Mexican Riveriera,

P1010472 (2)
…three humpback whales chased Bright Water down to wave goodbye.

P1010455 (2)
Then this very fancy boat asked us to turn left, no, right so he didn’t squash us like a bug.

The sun go down, the moon come up. It’s never dark on Bright Water.

The next morning was encouraging. After a bumpy evening south of the Cape, the water and wind calmed down and the fishing lures went out.

First we hooked a big marlin. Big. He was nice enough to break the steel leader almost immediately. No sense fooling around.

Next was a double hookup of very small Little Tunny. Back to the ocean with them.  We were fishing for meat.

The next fish was Nancy’s.

She hooked a nice sized marlin, maybe four or five feet long.  We soon had to crank the reel drag all the way tight, because the metal parts of the reel were too hot  to touch.

P1010496 (3)
After fighting the fish for over 30 minutes, the hook broke at the base of the barb (the sharp point broke off). Marlin are known for having very hard mouths, so this wasn’t particularly surprising.

We were able to save the pink and white feather hootchie lure, which was great. We’ve caught a lot of fish on that lure.

I rigged the lure with a new base hook, then added a “trailer” hook, dangling off the base hook, pointing in the opposite direction.  The trailer hook was a stunningly sharp 6/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook. It would hook anything that looked at the lure, and never let go.

My fish was a great dorado. Not this big: https://svbrightwater.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/fishy-fishy/, but bigger than this: https://svbrightwater.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/arrive-bahia-de-magdalena/. It was also crazy, crazy pretty, flashing blue and green and yellow as it neared the boat. Nancy gaffed it and got it on deck, but the fish was able to tangle itself, dislodge the hook, and leap overboard while disgorging itself of tiny red shrimp (krill, probably).  It was a stunning display of acrobatics and agility.

It strikes me that I may not have done a good job explaining the whole “trailer hook” thing.  Here is a picture:


Here is another picture that’s maybe easier to see:


Clearly the trailer hook has caught nicely and will be difficult to dislodge.

Why yes, that is my foot. Remember, also, that we are 250 miles from anywhere on a boat.  But a little soapy water, some diagonal pliers, bactroban ointment applied topically, and a Band-Aid, and it all closed up in about ten hours, when it was time for Nancy to take the midnight to 4AM watch. No worries. Just so you know, if it did get infected we have amoxicillin, cephalexin, and Cyprosomething, in that order. But it’s all better. If you look at the pictures carefully, you can see that the hook appears to go through the big vein on top of my foot. It didn’t. It’s a magic trick.

Now that we’re at anchor I’m continuing to apply an ethanol lavage, gastrointestinally, as required. There’s a great two-hole scar developing, which will pass for a rattlesnake bite if needed.

Trailer Hooks are now permanently banned from Bright Water. Because we learn.


This is Nancy wearing her Valentine’s day jewelry. The cowrie shell necklace is from Mag Bay 2012 and the Murex earrings are from Mag Bay 2014. It’s what all the mermaids are wearing this season.