Did a little work, took a few pictures.
Big day today. We finally turned our project back into a sailboat.
It takes a lot of people to put a mast in a sailboat. We were not invited to help.
I don’t know why not. The mast only weighs several hundred pounds, and is a little under 600 feet long.
Maybe it’s under 60 feet long. It’s still big. Our mast sits directly on the bottom of the boat, so it’s fed through a tiny hole in the coach roof. It’s not a trivial problem, since the crane can’t hold the mast directly vertical since it grabs it near the balance point in the middle.
After the yard guys got the mast installed and all the standing rigging tightened and tuned, with the mast vertical and bent slightly aft (the bend keeps the middle of the mast from “pumping” in heavy seas, which makes the mast vibrate and break, and also improves the mainsail shape), we got to work with all the other stuff that’s mounted on the mast and rigging. For instance, we installed a self-leveling Questus radar antenna mount on the backstay.
Then we installed the boom. Luckily there was a building near by we could use as scaffolding.
Then we had to figure out all the strings and ropes and bags and fabric and knots and various bits of laundry. Not trivial.
Luckily, we had Pender to help in his short break between work and school. He goes back to Gonzaga any day now.
Almost. Almost. Almost.
Bob and Barb wanted to work on the boat. We wanted help with the mast. The negotiations were intense. A deal was struck.
First we had to disassemble the roller furling. It was originally assembled (years ago) without locktite. Roller furling systems that fall apart are approximately as useful as liquid dinnerware and as safe as gasoline toothpaste.
Then we had to clean out the fastener holes with a tap and clean up the full dog ss setscrews with our thumbnails. Then we reassembled the roller furler over the new headstay, using red locktite. Interestingly, the red locktite came in a blue tube. The blue locktite came in, you guessed it, a red tube.
Once the roller furling stack was rebuilt, we had to cut the new forestay the same length as the old forestay. I’d never cut a forestay before, so we broke out the Dremel tool and cutoff wheel. We went through a lot of cutoff wheels.
The wires would catch as they came free and shatter the wheels. So Bob grabbed the blue tape.
That controlled the loose wire ends, but we still had to cut the last wire with a bolt cutter because the spindle eventually broke.
Then we had to install the Norseman end fitting. The cable wires are splayed and reassembled over a ferrule, then tightened into a big crimp doodad.
We put it together, took it apart to inspect the process, then reassembled the whole thing with more red Locktite.
The frayed mess under the new forestay is the old forestay. The new one is completely identical except it’s not frayed or a mess and it’s new.
The original spruce spreaders were rotten and cracked and, again, spruce. We had aluminum spreaders made and only had to drill the mounting holes to complete the installation.
The fabricators were too afraid to drill the mounting holes in their specially equipped facility. I may be too afraid to pay their bill. So, left-to-right, we have Bob on precision fixturing, Phil on sophisticated Harbor Freight drilling system, and Barb on the spray-oil can. We pulled it off, though. Patience and boldness pay off again.
Here is the top of the mast.
Bob on the left, lightning dissipator flower, LunaSea LED tricolor/anchor/strobe combo with mounted Windex, VHF antenna, me, anemometer/direction transducer, and Barb.
The boom still fits on the mast. That was a relief.
Bob and Barb did lots of other work, but we didn’t take any other pictures.
Thanks, Bob and Barb.
The negotiations were not intense.